Monday, August 17, 2015

Growing up in a pentecostal denomination, I saw this kind of thing all the time, not by my own pastors but at conferences or special conventions that we'd attend. It has always disgusted me. While I agree with the idea that we can be healed through faith, and that sometimes God asks us to give out of our need, I do NOT agree that we should give all our $ to televagelists simply to receive a blessing or to be healed. Or the idea that this is the ONLY way God works! This is the same as saying that if you don't share this Jesus meme you don't love Him. We should be led by the Holy Spirit and should always question those prompts against scripture. If something doesn't feel right, it isn't! I remember being at a conference one time. The speaker's message was awesome so we went again the next night. Sadly, the next night the entire message was about seed offerings and that if you wanted to receive a blessing you had to give big. I shook my head because that is so not biblical but then I heard a lady behind me telling her husband to get the checkbook and write it out for everything they had! It made me sick to my stomach as I watched people all around me doing the same thing. I said something to a few of them but ended up leaving because I couldn't watch it any longer. Zero respect for people like that and it makes it hard for missionaries like myself to raise legitimate relationship-based support because for some, it comes across like this!

via Facebook

No comments: